What is a Baby Sprinkle? - What to expect, etiquette, and gift ideas
When you are pregnant with your first child, you can typically expect people to throw a baby shower for you. But what happens when this isn’t your first child? Enter the baby sprinkle. In this article, we will explain what a baby sprinkle is, etiquette, and give you some fun ideas for themes, games, and gifts.
What is a baby sprinkle and is it different than a baby shower?
A baby sprinkle is a smaller version of a baby shower. It is meant to help the mother-to-be stock up on all the newborn essentials. Unlike a baby shower, a baby sprinkle is more about celebrating the new child and less about ensuring the mom has all the proper equipment. Having a child can be expensive and there are many things that you need to get when you are expecting your first baby. Baby showers allow your friends and family to help get you all that you will need--- a crib, high chair, car seat, breast pump, etc.--to take care of your newborn. In contrast, a baby sprinkle is less grand and more subdued.
A second-time mom (or 3rd or 4th) won’t need all new equipment; she already has a crib and a car seat. So, a baby sprinkle is designed to help her stock up on the essentials or anything that her other child is still using. This can include things such as diapers, wipes, onesies, formula, stroller, a car seat, etc.
Baby sprinkle etiquette
There are a few things to remember when you are hosting a baby sprinkle.
- Baby sprinkles are much more low-key than a baby shower. The parents-to-be already have the majority of their big items so they will likely only need smaller gifts. The guest list can be kept to a minimum and the gifts can be smaller. The baby sprinkle is more about celebrating a new addition to the family.
- Baby sprinkles don’t tend to have a registry. This may not be true for all sprinkles though. If there is a long period of time in between the two children, it is very possible that the parents-to-be got rid of their baby’s old things. Now they may need the big-ticket items, so it is perfectly appropriate to have a registry; but in general, a registry isn’t needed.
- The host should not be the mother-to-be or either of the grandmothers. This is true for all baby showers and it is also true for a baby sprinkle. Don’t add any more stress to their already stressed-out life.
- Be prepared to explain. Baby sprinkles are a relatively new phenomenon and many people will not understand what it is. The typical etiquette is that baby showers are reserved for the first baby. So, many guests can be confused as to why they are being invited to a second one. Make sure that the guests understand that this is a get-together to celebrate a new life, and not to ‘shower’ the mother with gifts.
- Put gift ideas on the invitation. Because many people have never been to a sprinkle before, they will likely not know what to bring. Make sure to list gift ideas on the invitation so that they know what is expected.
How To Plan A Baby Sprinkle
Baby sprinkles are a much more casual affair and don’t require a lot of planning. However, you can still have fun with a baby sprinkle and keep it informal. A baby sprinkle typically lasts about 2 hours instead of a whole afternoon. This makes it easy to have a small get-together like a birthday party. Instead of catering, just have a few light snacks. Invite the closest friends and family--including the male relatives--and allow their children to join too. A baby sprinkle should be a fun, small celebration of the new baby that is on the way.
Baby Sprinkle Party Themes and Ideas
To make a baby sprinkle feel a little bit more special try adding a theme to the decor. Some fun baby sprinkle themes include
- A Sprinkle of Rain - include clouds and rain imagery in the decor
- Sugary Sweet Sprinkles - coat a cake with jimmies, and use colorful polka-dots on the decor
- Growing Family - Use lots of flowers, seeds, and plants to show the growing family
- New Drafted Player - Add a sports element to the party to show that a new member is going to be added to the team.
Baby sprinkle games
If you have ever been to a baby shower you are probably aware of how crazy baby shower games can get. People get competitive and it can become a little rowdy. Baby sprinkles are more relaxed. That doesn’t mean you can’t have fun games, but they are probably not going to get too out of control.
Baby sprinkle games tend to be more creative and fun instead of competitive. For example, you can have a onesie decorating contest and have a prize for the cutest onesie. You could also have everyone create a cute piece of art for the baby’s nursery. Similarly, you can forgo games altogether and opt for a fun advice box. This gives people an opportunity to write their best advice for a growing family and put it in a box for the parents to read later. A baby sprinkle is all about spending time with family and friends and getting excited for a new addition to the family.
Baby sprinkle gift ideas
Typically, there will be a small list of gift ideas that the parents are looking for on the invitation, but sometimes that is not the case. Other times, you may just want to give them a little something special. If you are attending a baby sprinkle and have no idea what to get the mother-to-be, here are a few ideas.
- Stick to the basics. You can never go wrong with the essentials. Diapers, wipes, diaper cream, baby powder, etc. Your gift might not be the most amazing or the most creative, but they will be the most grateful for it.
- Clothes. Clothes are another thing that parents will be grateful for. This is particularly true if the baby is the opposite gender of their previous child. If they are the same gender, then try going for larger clothes designed for one-year-olds. They may not be immediately useful, but they will be grateful later on.
- Big-Ticket Items. If you know that they don’t have a lot of the bigger items they will need, go ahead and get it for them. Maybe their stroller is only designed for one--get them one for two. That way there is enough room for the new baby and the other child.
- Gifts for Mommy. Trust us, a gift for mommy is going to go a long way towards keeping them sane. Especially in the last trimester. Get them a spa gift card, or a prenatal massage, or if you want to go the extra mile--a postpartum girdle. A postpartum girdle is designed to help support and compress the mother’s abdomen after giving birth. It promotes a faster healing time with less pain. A postpartum girdle is a perfect and thoughtful gift to get your friend or family member who is expecting. Because it is not something they would think to get for themselves, but they will thank you for it.
A baby sprinkle is a time to get celebrate the arrival of a new addition to the family. It brings together family and friends and helps the parents stock up on the essentials they will need. A baby sprinkle is much more relaxed than a baby shower, but cute themes and small games are always a plus. Make sure that you take the time to get the growing family a thoughtful gift and invest in a Bellefit postpartum girdle. Trust us, they will be forever grateful.