Why Every New Mom Needs a Postpartum Massage
Part of the healing process following delivery is finding healing modalities that work best for you. Among the most popular with new mothers is the postpartum massage. Somewhat different than the service you receive at a spa, it’s one way to treat yourself well after giving birth.
Benefits of a Postpartum Massage
There are many benefits associated with postpartum massage. Among the most notable include:
- Muscle Relaxation. Helps with tension which causes back, neck, and shoulder pain.
- Lower Stress Hormones such as Cortisol, the Fight or Flight Hormone. Postpartum massage supports the lymphatic system which moves toxins and waste from the body.
- Increased Circulation. Better blood flow means that your body is getting the vital nutrients it needs to thrive.
- A Restored Sense of Self. Now that your life is being guided by an infant’s needs and well-being, it’s important that you stick to a self-care plan that is manageable for you.
Now that you’re aware of what post natal massage can do for you, it’s time to find a massage therapist you can trust. Below, we’ll explain the qualities to look for in a professional. That way, you can narrow your search, find someone you trust, and get to work healing immediately.
Where to Find a Reputable Massage Therapist
The internet is full of reviews of massage therapists and other healers. It’s important to take a few minutes to acquaint yourself with the anatomy of a review so you can quickly determine if it’s legitimate or not. By eliminating fact from fiction, you get a clearer picture of the person you’re interested in working with, their massage style, and the price of their services.
Things to Look for in a Massage Therapist
Some of the things you need to pay close attention to when researching massage therapists are:
- Their education and credentials. Where did they go to school? What did their training entail? Do they specialize in certain types of massage therapy?
- Their reputation in the community. What do other people have to say about them? Are the reviews you find online positive? Do they have a social media presence that they manage?
- The way that they work. Do they seemed rushed or scattered when speaking to you? Or, do they appear to be relaxed, patient, and ready to help?
- Their pricing structure. Are they transparent about pricing? Do they have a pay structure that is in your budget?
- Their demeanor and rapport with you. Is their personality genuinely happy? Do they answer your questions and explain what they’re going to do before touching you?
Other Postpartum Aftercare
It feels luxurious to pamper yourself after giving birth. A postpartum massage allows you to release any stress that has kept your muscles taught and move excess fluid around so that it passes easily through the lymphatic system. A good rubdown helps reduce anxiety and relieve stress, too, which is why the relationship you build with your massage therapist is valuable.
Engaging in regular self-care such as massages helps you tend to your needs first so you’re better able to take care of your baby and the other important people in your life. Don't stop there. Make sure you engage in other self-care as well, like a postpartum girdle or corset.
Our Bellefit postpartum girdles and corsets, are designed to be comfortable and get you back to feeling your best self while also speeding up your recovery. Not only will these help you eliminate any excess swelling, but they'll also tone down your body to a great extent - helping you get back to feeling confident in your new body.
Do you believe that regular postpartum massages help in speeding up the recovery process?