Do the words girdles, corsets, and waist trainers scare you away? You’re probably thinking of the pre-modern corsets that caused so much grief for women for the sake of fashion.
Thankfully, there are waist trainers today that are actually recommended by healthcare professionals to aid postpartum recovery. Celebrities like Kim Kardashian and Jessica Alba reportedly wore corsets to bounce back to their pre-pregnancy bodies.
Are you curious to know what it’s like wearing a corset after your pregnancy?
Bellefit made an appearance on Fox 13’s The Place to get to the bottom of the celebrity girdle buzz. Identical twins and TV hosts, Brittany Graham and Brooke Hacket, were pregnant at the same time and shared their post-pregnancy recovery experiences wearing their Bellefit postpartum girdles. The twins said it was their favorite way to get their bodies back into shape after pregnancy.
We’ll breakdown some of the common questions about wearing a postpartum girdle and what you can come to expect with the Bellefit’s range of girdles and corsets.
- First Of All, What Is A Postpartum Girdle?
- What Is It Like To Wear A Postpartum Girdle?
- How Do You Put On A Girdle?
- Is It Safe To Wear A Girdle All Day?
- These Are The Bellefit Girdles that Brooke & Brittany Tried
- Tips For Shopping For A Postpartum Girdle
- Why Choose Bellefit Postpartum Girdles And Corsets?
First Of All, What Is A Postpartum Girdle?
A postpartum girdle is a specially designed garment to address a woman’s recovery needs after delivering her baby.
It applies high-grade compression therapy around the torso to provide comfort and support for the female body after pregnancy.
Here are some of the benefits of wearing a postpartum girdle:
- Reduces swelling and inflammation
- Increases blood flow for faster recovery
- Supports the abdominals and lower back for mobility
- Improves posture
- Slims the waist and flattens the belly
- Allows moms to exercise with confidence after delivery sooner
- Highly recommended for treating diastasis recti
“A lot of people do this after they have a baby. They say this really helps get your tummy back in tight. Jessica Alba said she wore it three months straight after she had her last baby, and she praises it.” Brooke said on Fox 13.
The Bellefit girdles and corsets have a sleek, modern design that people tend to associate with fashionable shapewear underwear, like Spanx. Postpartum girdles take the benefits of shapewear one step further to equip women for their post-pregnancy recovery.
Here are some examples of why Bellefit girdles and corsets are superior to shapewear after pregnancy:
- Designed for the female postpartum body
- FDA-approved and doctor recommended
- Medical-grade compression offers safe and consistent tension throughout with triple reinforced panels on the front and back
- Easy access to the groin region to accommodate heavy flow pads
This Is What Wearing a Bellefit Girdle or C-Section Girdle Looks Like:
What Is It Like To Wear A Postpartum Girdle?
Now that you know what a postpartum girdle is, and what makes it different from body shaping underwear, let’s get into what it’s like to wear one.
Twin hosts Brittany Graham and Brooke Hacket shared what it was like for them to wear corsets after pregnancy. They wore their corsets for four months and purchased two sizes each because their bodies changed significantly after pregnancy, and they found they needed to size down.
Kim Kardashian and Jessica Alba wore their girdles after pregnancy 24-hours, seven days a week, for three months. This may seem like a big commitment, but it’s really not when you find a comfortable fit and see the benefits of wearing your girdle.
To understand the benefits first hand, Brooke and Brittney wore the dual-closure girdle. Here’s what Brooke had to say about what it feels like to wear it:
“I have to say it’s kind of like a sturdier version of Spanx. It makes you feel really sucked in and tight on your tummy area, and it was pretty comfortable. I like how it goes higher because Spanx sometimes feels like it’s gonna cut you in half. We liked it!”
It was both Brittney and Brooke’s first pregnancies, and they didn’t know what to expect after delivering their babies. They describe their bellies feeling “loose” and “everything is hanging out.” The mummy tummy can cause a boatful of health problems from back and pelvic pain, posture misalignment, and muscle weakness — not to mention it can put a toll on your confidence. These certainly aren’t ideal circumstances when you’re now caring for a newborn baby.
Wearing a Bellefit girdle helped these first-time moms feel good in their skin and helped them feel supported in their exercises, giving them general peace of mind.
How Do You Put On A Girdle?
The hooks and zippers may seem intimidating at first — but trust us when we say this is the easiest girdle to put on and remove. And, more importantly, it stays put all day and night.
We have an in-depth, step-by-step guide with a video to show you how to slip on your compression garment, but we’ll quickly run through the steps.
- Begin by sitting down on your mattress
- Step into your girdle and slide the top part of your garment to your hips
- Now lie on your back. Your back and abs will flatten naturally to help you slide the girdle as high as it will go (ideally, just beneath your bra line)
- Fasten the hooks or zipper while you’re on your back
- Stand up, and inset a heavy flow pad to prevent leakage if you need it by accessing the crotch pad
- Et voila! You’ve put on your girdle. To remove your girdle, you would lay on your back and slip the garment off.
Thanks to the accessible crotch opening design, you don’t have to remove the entire garment every time you use the restroom.
Is It Safe To Wear A Girdle All Day?
Absolutely! It’s safe to wear corsets around the clock as long as you’re not wearing it too tightly.
It should feel snug, but not so restricting that you can’t move or breathe. In fact, you’ll see the most benefits from your Bellefit girdle if you are consistent with it.
Like we had mentioned earlier, Kim Kardashian and Jessica Alba wore their garments 24-7 — and you’ll want to wear it all day long because of the added comfort you’ll experience.
The Bellefit dual-closure girdle and our other styles that have the hook-and-eye closure are adjustable, which means as your uterus shrinks, you can size down three times with your garment while still gaining the right amount of compression. Many moms choose to purchase two girdles as they return to their pre-pregnancy size.
If you’re still pregnant and looking to shop your girdle ahead of time, we recommend taking your measurements at your eight-month mark for your post-pregnancy recovery. This measurement is the size you will be after delivery, and as your belly shrinks down in size, you want to switch to the size down to continue benefiting from postpartum compression therapy.
These Are The Bellefit Girdles that Brooke & Brittany Tried
We’ll quickly go over some of the features that Brooke and Brittany wore for their postpartum recoveries to help you decide which style would be right for you.
Bellefit Bodysuit Corset
The open-bust bodysuit is the best fit for bustier women with long torsos who want full-coverage support while still having access to breastfeed.
Despite this style having the most coverage, it’s still incredibly easy to slip on and off. You’ve got adjustable straps, triple reinforced compression panels in the front and back, and the accessible crotch opening on a full-panty style garment.
The bodysuit is the most recommended style for busty moms experiencing lower back pain, looking for extra support.
Bellefit Cheekster Corset
The cheekster corset is ideal for recovery after c-section or natural birth of all body shapes.
The cheekster panty line is a flattering fit that rounds the booty without the panty line and offers shapewear benefits to flatten the belly and smooth the hips.
This is our best-selling garment. For a more classic fit and full-rear coverage, the Bellefit corset is an excellent choice for both natural and c-section deliveries.
Wear this garment when your swelling is at its peak for the first few weeks after birth. Thanks to the adjustable hook-eye-closures, you can continue to reap the benefits of shapewear as your belly and waist slim to its pre-pregnancy shape.
Bellefit Corset Thong
No panty line? No problem.
The Bellefit corset thong is the latest look we’ve added to the collection. It has adjustable, removable straps you can wear classic, cross-back, or backless for a versatile application under many different outfit styles. It has all the great benefits of the classic corset-style, but with more discretion under your favorite outfit styles.
Tips For Shopping For A Postpartum Girdle
- Take measurements at home around the eight-month pregnancy mark and match the measurements to the company’s sizing chart to make sure you’re selecting a comfortable fit.
- Only shop for FDA-approved medical devices. Some insurance providers will cover FDA-approved postpartum corsets.
- Check to see what the garment is from hypoallergenic, flexible material. You’ll be wearing this girdle all-day and night, so you want to make sure the fabric is high-quality to prevent rashes or irritation on the skin.
- Get a garment with crotch openings. Expect leakage in your postpartum recovery. You’ll want to access this area regularly to change pads and clean the area often. This saves you from constantly removing the garment.
- Look for adjustable closures and straps. Your body is going to feel like it’s changing every day, and it is. To make the most out of your garment, find one that can accommodate to your changing body.
- Buy from a retailer with exceptional customer service. Save yourself headaches down the road, and shop with a reputable retailer that puts its customers first and take pride in their products.
Why Choose Bellefit Postpartum Girdles And Corsets?
We understand that moms don’t have a lot of time to spare — new moms especially are adjusting to their life with their bundle of joy. Our purpose at Bellefit is to provide women with the support and comfort they need in this incredibly special — although challenging — time in their lives with the best postpartum support garments on the market.
Each corset and girdle was designed with women’s postpartum bodies in mind, and it’s FDA-approved for your peace of mind. We have styles to suit both c-section and natural deliveries in sizes XS – 3XL.
Like Fox 13 briefly mentions, we’re available on Amazon, Target, or you can shop directly through our website — we always have a great deal or promotion on. Because we recommend getting two garments, get $20 off on your second garment, so you can make the most out of compression therapy as you bounce back to your pre-pregnancy body.
Not sure which size is right for you?
We offer a personalized sizing call to walk you through the process. We genuinely believe in the quality of our products and want to give you the best experience shopping with Bellefit. If you’re looking for a garment to support your postpartum recovery, a Bellefit girdle is the best investment you can make for your health.